Monday, September 30, 2019

The Mighty Leica M4...and More!

Leica M4 with Jupiter Lens and Hand Grip
    There isn't much I could write about  the legendary Leica M4 that hasn't been written about at least a million times over the years. So what's new?
    Okay, buckle up. Here goes. Even though I realize that Leicaphiles everywhere are going to pillory me, I have to point out that my treasured M4 dares to be different because it doesn't sport a Leica lens or any of the many highly priced Leica accessories one can buy for a king's ransom.



     Take, for example the Russian Jupiter 2/50 lens shown here that I bought for a reasonable price on eBay. And notice that the lens sports a bargain-priced generic 40.5mm lens shade, as well as an inexpensive DHQ UV filter. To top it off I mounted the lens to the camera with an LTM-M mount adapter that cost less than $15.00.

Jupiter 2/50 Kentmere ISO 100 Film
       But won't there be a problem with performance? you ask. Won't a cheap lens provide crappy results? Truth to tell, not always. I've used USSR lenses over the years without any problems, although I must admit that I wouldn't rate the Russians #1 in quality control much of the time. I guess you could say that you "pays your money and you takes your chances" when it comes to buying Soviet Jupiter or Industar lenses. That said, you can still find some good glass in what is now known as the Russian Federation. Just be sure to shop carefully.

       Using inexpensive lenses, lens shades, filters, and LTM-M  adapters isn't the only Leica crime for which I could be run out of town or burned at the stake. Believe it or not, I even use a $20 3D printed unit that I ordered from cameradactyl.com.

 Butter Grip Seen from Below
      Called the Butter Grip, this handy accessory is the brainchild of Ethan Moses, who's the creator of a slew of unique accessories that won't send you to the poorhouse. Interestingly, the Butter Grip is available in several colors.
   
Butter Grip Seen Close Up
     I have to admit that I was skeptical when I ordered this hand grip. How good could it be at such a low price? I wondered. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised.

       There's very little difference between my new Butter Grip and other grips I've owned that cost much, much more. This unit fits snugly and securely while providing a firm grip on the camera. And when the time comes to change the film on your Leica M, there's no need to remove the grip before you remove the bottom plate. That's because the plate and the grip are joined together. As a bonus, a hand grip attached to your camera protects the bottom plate from scratches and other abrasions.

      I'm very pleased with my new, inexpensive Butter Grip. If I were to make one suggestion, however, it would be to move the tripod mount opening toward the center of the unit and in that way provide for better balance when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

     In summary, if you're on the lookout for a hand grip that doesn't bear the Leica logo and cost an outrageous amount of money, you won't go wrong with a Butter Grip





     









No comments:

Post a Comment