Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Wounded T.K.C. Windsor

    Because it wasn't functioning correctly, I was disappointed when I received this neat little camera in the mail. The problem was that although the shutter, the diaphragm, and the focusing mechanism were working just fine, the film advance wasn't. Here's why. As with the Konica I, you must depress the camera's spring-loaded rewind button before you advance the film. You can see this button next to the white dot the photo at the right. But, because the spring was apparently broken, when I depressed the button nothing happened.
    No problem, I thought. I'll just remove the top plate and take a peek. With luck, maybe I'd be able replace the spring. But even after I removed all the screws and parts I could find, I discovered that I couldn't dislodge the top plate, which felt as if it were welded on. That's why it ended being one of very few cameras in my collection that isn't fully functioning.
    Manufactured during the early fifties in Japan by Toko Shashin, which later changed its name to Windsor, this somewhat rare fixed lens camera features shutter speeds of B-1/200; diaphragm openings from f3.5-f22; a cable release; and a self timer. I think it also had a PC socket, but the one on this camera was removed by a previous owner.
     An oversized spring-loaded screw reposes on the camera's bottom opposite the film advance knob. You can see it in the photo at the left. Unfortunately, because I couldn't find much information about the Windsor, I have no idea what purpose this screw serves.

    The layout of the controls on this old timer is typical of that of most other fixed lens cameras of the early fifties. The purple dot marks the shutter cocking lever. Orange denotes the diaphragm adjuster. Green shows the cable release socket. Dark blue indicates the shutter release. Red marks the self timer lever, and aqua denotes the focusing knob.                                                   
   The hinged back cover swings open to reveal a bright, silvery film pressure plate. If I were to use this camera, I'd probably paint this plate black. Notice, also, the integrated viewfinder/rangefinder eyepiece, which wasn't very common at the time. Unfortunately, the camera lacks carrying strap lugs.
    Like most other fixed lens cameras of its time, the T.K.C. Windsor is definitely not for the impatient photographer who likes to shoot from the hip. Even so, it would be fun to take it out to see how it flies. But because that isn't possible with this injured bird, I'll have to be happy with just letting it roost on the shelf with the rest of my collection.

COMING SOON: The Magnificent  Minolta 35








No comments:

Post a Comment